Home » Server Options » Multitenant » Which Database, CDB or PDB, Should I Use for my Tables, and How Do I Connect Forms12 to CDB? (DB: Oracle 19C, Forms and Reports: 12C, OS: OL-7)
Which Database, CDB or PDB, Should I Use for my Tables, and How Do I Connect Forms12 to CDB? [message #685214] Sun, 07 November 2021 23:37 Go to next message
mg.hossain.it@gmail.com
I am trying to upgrade my

Database: from 11g to 19c
and
Forms and Reports: from 11g to 12C.

• In DB 19C there are 2 types of Databases - CDB and PDB, unlike 11g.
  • I have also noticed that I can connect my Oracle Forms 12C to PDB users and data only, not to the users and data of CDB.
Can anybody please enlighten me by telling:
  • 1) Which Database, CDB or PDB, should I use to create my Users, Tables and other Schema Object?
  • 2) How can I connect to my CDB users and data from Oracle Forms 12C?
Thanking you in advance for taking the time to have a look at my mentioned 2 problems!

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2021 00:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Which Database, CDB or PDB, Should I Use for my Tables, and How Do I Connect Forms12 to CDB? [message #685215 is a reply to message #685214] Mon, 08 November 2021 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Your terminology is all confused, which I think is your problem in understanding. So here we go:

There is ONE database: the CDB (Container Database). The CDB contains (guess what!) containers. You will have at least three containers: the root container, CDB$ROOT; the seed container, PDB$SEED; and one or more pluggable containers, the PDBs. A PDB (Pluggable Database) is NOT a database: it is just a set of tablespaces for storing and managing user created obects.

Does that make it clear?
Re: Which Database, CDB or PDB, Should I Use for my Tables, and How Do I Connect Forms12 to CDB? [message #685216 is a reply to message #685215] Mon, 08 November 2021 01:30 Go to previous message
mg.hossain.it@gmail.com
At first I must thank you for your kind attention to my topic and my points of ignorance.

Yes, your answer is informative to be clear about CDB$ROOT, PDB$SEED and any other PDB. Still as a newbie in Database 19C and Forms 12C I have still some confusions about how to connect and use the data created in CDB$ROOT.

I have created my users and tables in the SID name G1 in CDB$ROOT, which can not be accessed if I connect to a user of PDB.

I also have installed Forms and Reports 12C, where I can see forms 12c connects to the PDB user and data of the PDB users only, not to those created in SID name G1 in CDB$ROOT.

• Would you kindly tell me if I am right or wrong to create my users and tables in CDB, CDB$ROOT?
  • How can I connect to those tables from Oracle Forms 12c, which connects to PDB only?
Best regards.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2021 01:41]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Best Multitenant Databaes
Next Topic: Migration from PDB to Non PDB oracle 19.11 database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:02:46 CDT 2024