Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Quick way to create a PO with multiple lines in Financials
Quick way to create a PO with multiple lines in Financials [message #182419] Fri, 14 July 2006 13:24 Go to next message
dreamkatcha
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of an efficient way to create 20 identical distribution lines within a single PO. I'm raising orders for temporary staff wages and would rather not have to raise a separate PO for each invoice.

I know you can press shift and F6 to copy the line above, but this doesn't duplicate the behind the scenes info i.e. the cost code, staff requester details etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Re: Quick way to create a PO with multiple lines in Financials [message #182606 is a reply to message #182419] Mon, 17 July 2006 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
I don't know enough about the detailed workings of Purchasing to say for certain, but if nobody gives you an answer that you are comfortable with, then you might want to coinsider this.

In my job implementing and supporting the Oracle Financials, I frequently have the need to load large numbers of records, and frequently need to load the same (or slightly modified) data into multiple environments for Development, Testing, User Acceptance Testing, Data Migration, Training and Production. To do this, I make extensive use of DataLoad, which is a free download from http://www.dataload.net/

DataLoad has a spreadsheet-style user interface and anybody who has used a spreadsheet will be able to use DataLoad in minutes, and should be able to test their first load (in a TEST environment) within an hour.

DataLoad does not have all of the formulae and functions available in Excel, so what I do is build an Excel spreadsheet containing all of the data that I want, making use of all of the power and facilities available in Excel, then use the DataLoad "Import from Excel" button to copy the data into DataLoad. In your case, your spreadsheet would contain the 20 distribution lines, each with the appropriate cost code, staff requester details etc.

The steps involved in loading data are:

1.) build your data in Excel,
2.) highlight all of that data,
3.) ALT+TAB to DataLoad ,
4.) click the "Import from Excel" button
5.) from the drop-down list, select the window that you want to load the data to (e.g. Oracle Applications),
6.) click on the "Send Data to Form" button.

Now, sit back and watch as DataLoad loads all of your data through Oracle Forms with all of the normal validation that would be done just as if you had keyed it in yourself.

Note that you select the window that you want to send the data to. This need not be Oracle, so DataLoad can be used for entering data into any application that has a Windows GUI interface.

As well as the free version, there is also a Professional version, which uses the Oracle Forms "Record" and "Playback" functionality, which runs on the server and is a lot faster than the Classic version (which uses Windows Cut and Paste). Using the Professional version, I have loaded Cross-Segment Validation Rules at the rate of just over 7,100 elements per hour (or almost 2 elements per second).

Although I have no commercial connection with DataLoad , I am a moderator on the DataLoad Forum, and I will do my utmost to help any new users to get started.

Cool HTH

David
Re: Quick way to create a PO with multiple lines in Financials [message #182628 is a reply to message #182419] Mon, 17 July 2006 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vin_odks
Hi,

There is an option in Purchasing to set default values to the PO

1) Make use of Tool-->preferences in your PO setup

Preferences can be used to set default values for the following :
a) Destination Type
b) Requestor
c) Ship to
d) Sub inventory
e) Charge account
f) need by date
g) Tax code

And much more ..

2) Some of the information also get defaulted form the supplier info.

After setting up the above info, only minimal info needs to be supplied.

Does this solves you requirement?

Regards
Vinod

Re: Quick way to create a PO with multiple lines in Financials [message #182709 is a reply to message #182419] Mon, 17 July 2006 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dreamkatcha
Thanks very much to both of you. Your extremely thorough answers are greatly appreciated. Smile

Because financial protocol dictates that the same person can't raise the orders, receipt the goods/work and pay the invoices, someone else is going to be raising these particular ones so I've not had chance to put your advice into practice yet.

Nevertheless, I've printed out your replies and kept them in my 'how to' file for future reference. They certainly will come in handy in the near future.

Thanks again.
Re: Quick way to create a PO with multiple lines in Financials [message #183260 is a reply to message #182419] Thu, 20 July 2006 03:17 Go to previous message
dreamkatcha
This is the first opportunity I've had to test this out. Vinod, your solution worked flawlessly and saved me what would have amounted to hours of data input! Thanks again.
Previous Topic: Bill of Materials - Back Dated Entries
Next Topic: iprocure/inventory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 04:22:17 CDT 2024